The standpipe was built in 1897 and is
designated as a National Historic Landmark by the Maine Historic
Preservation Commission. It is not handicap accessible; the promenade
deck is reached via a 100-step enclosed staircase.
Travel on Thomas Hill Road to the standpipe
will be one-way from Highland Avenue; parking is limited in the
immediate area of the standpipe
A permanent plaque, details the
construction and history of the 119-year-old standpipe. The stone on which the plaque
is mounted was moved from the Floods Pond watershed by District crews.